Welcome!

Welcome! Feel free to use this blog as a resource for researching international adoption. Courtesy of www.vancetwins.com

U.S. Pressuring Guatemala for Babies

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 09:29 Mecca time, 06:29 GMT

By Mariana Sanchez in Guatemala City

With Guatemala the second biggest provider of children adopted in the US, most of the children are born to poor women who are either paid to be pregnant or pressured into giving up their baby.

The US has now threatened to bar such adoptions, unless the Guatemalan government complies with an international agreement designed to protect potential adoptees.

Alejandra has just given up her daughter for adoption. She is 16 years old.

"My mother found a woman who asked me if I was sure I wanted to do that. She said I would not get into trouble and the baby would be fine," she said....

for remaining article